Friday, July 6, 2007

Dumbing down....even board games

I found an article in the Boston Globe about toy-maker Hasbro introducing “express” versions of Monopoly, Sorry, and Scrabble that will only take about 20 minutes to play. “Busy lives” and “shorter attention spans” the article said.

Has it come down to children’s lives being too busy, and their attention spans too short, to participate in a full game of Monopoly, Sorry, or Scrabble. I personally loved the memories of the hours spent playing those game and many others including Clue, Yahtzee, Chutes and Ladders etc. Instead of speeding up games (or dumbing them down) could we not use board games to teach children focus and patience?

I know some of you are thinking, good grief, not a big deal. I personally think this is just another sign of what our societies family life has come to. I wonder if those same people, who are going to buy the express games, have time to sit and watch a movie? Jake, Joey, Janelle? When is the last time you asked mom and dad if they wanted to sit at the dining room table and play scrabble instead of watching or going to a movie? Do you have enough time in your lives to do that?

I understand there are times that you cannot finish an entire board game. But, spend the extra money to buy express games? Why not just declare a winner? Oh, never mind, that might hurt the child's self-esteem if they lose.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating post! On our recent vacation I was so blessed that we all played games together. What fun memories. Even our holiday tradition used to be playing games rather than arguing over which movie to go and see. :-) I say forget the short versions and let's settle in for a few hours of monopoly or trivial pursuit. PJ, it would help if you would let the kids win sometimes.

Anonymous said...

MOM--

So what you are saying is that I should LET the kids win at board games, thereby keeping their self esteem intact? Do you even read Jaime's blog?

PJ

Erin said...

....yeah.....the last sentence was great :) I got a chuckle out of it :)

Unknown said...

We've actually played a lot of board games recently; okay, maybe not a lot, but more than usual! We randomly played "clue" a couple weeks ago, and we weren't even on vacation! Astounding, isn't it?

Mom, Peej doesn't need to think he's better at trivial pursuit than he already think so of himself! :-)

lawrence said...

Board games are out. Movies (and bowling) are in. Let's just accept it and move on. Do you want to be like those people who still use cassatte tapes and VHS's?

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Jake, come on! Games are not 'out'! Take for instance my very cool fam: we play Boggle almost weekly (almost). It's great! Well, mainly because I'm the reigning champion for over a year now. I challenge any of you to try to beat me - muahahaha!

Jaime, dear, I totally agree with you! I enjoy the game time and love those memories (remember the plaster house places?!?! I drove by a place with Daniel and Caleb tonight and asked if they remember going there. They didn't. As sad as that is, I'm ok that we don't do that as a fam....really, ok. :o)

Anonymous said...

PJ, I'm not asking you to let them win to build their self esteem. But so the next time "Trivial Pursuit" comes up they won't all whine and grumble about playing because your team will win anyway. Just lose a few times so their pride will help them to want to start playing again!

Jaime said...

Jenn,

I have not played that game in years!

You have yourself a challenge from PJ and I! Lets get some people together, I'll put my kids to bed,get some food, and have ourselves a game night!

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Dude, you're on!!! ;o) When?! I bet Lawrence couldn't get past the first round! LOL

Katherine Peschau said...

I wish I had the chance to do things like that growing up. Well we did play 2 games growing up (Life and Risk :) but something always ended up going wrong. I think you are right about that our lives have become too busy and the childrens attention spans are too short. It was so apparent in my classroom this year with the children that it was always go, go, go and not teaching children to sit still more than a minute.
I know if I EVER get married and have children I want it to be a regular of game night in our house (with family and friends :)
I would love to join in the game night too if that's ok, but please don't feel like you have too :)
Jenn how did it feel to loose to a dummy like me in Scrabble on New Years Eve?!?!?! (I wish you could see my grin right now :)

Jaime said...

Of course you can come Kathy! Seriously Jenn, lets get a date. Don't you leave soon for Cuba? I guess we should wait till you get back.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to contact administration?
Thanks