Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Boy's Life



It amazes me the difference between boys and girls. Wyatt's new obsession is Lego Star Wars. I tried and tried to get Kayla to like some sort of video game. I tried VSmile, Wii, and DS. I don't care so much for gaming, but it does have it's place.

Wyatt started playing Wii about a year ago, but we only had one game since Kayla never really enjoyed it. As a reward for him one day, I took him out and he chose Lego Star Wars to purchase. Dear Lord, it takes everything to keep him off that thing. I didn't even show him how to use it (since I had no idea how to use it), but somehow the child taught himself and was rejoicing today about making it to level 19 or something.

I guess now is the time to start making some rules about playing. When I was a kid, our rule was we could play video games on rainy days. Since we live in the "sunshine state" I am going to have to come up with something different.

Thankfully he still likes to run, romp, and swim outside because, although I enjoy having something quiet for him to do, I do not want a lazy, fat, sit in front of the t.v. type of boy.

I wonder how often most people let their kids play video games? I guess I should start asking around to see what other families do to keep this stuff under control.

3 comments:

Erin said...

welcome to my heaven and my hell.

Elyse said...

I'm right there with you. Legos star wars was the first game Matthew loved on gameboy and the Wii. We started out allowing him 30 min/day game time and have now changed it to weekends only 30 min/day. My favorite part about it is that it makes a really good punishment...........

Jaime said...

elyse, 30 min on the weekends! wow. that is not much. did he freak out when you stopped letting him do it daily?