Saturday, June 30, 2007

Dumbing Down Part 3

Sitting facing the television, muttering half thoughts or reactions into black space - this is the primary linguistic training ground for most of my students. It does not in any way adequately serve the goal of developing and strengthening verbal communication because there is no meaningful interaction. I have before me in my classroom a generation of youngsters whose world encourages linguistic passivity. I must build an awareness of the demands of clear verbal communication on the most rudimentary interpersonal levels.

A. Jane Hamilton
MIddle School Teacher, Hillsboro, NH



According to Dr. Healy (Endangered Minds) language shapes culture, thinking, and brains. The verbal bath in which society soaks its children arranges their synapses and their intellects; it helps them learn to reason, reflect, and respond to the world. The brain is ravenous for language stimulation in early childhood but becomes increasingly resistant to change when the hour of puberty arrives.

The brains of today's children are being structured in language patterns antagonistic to the values and goals of formal education. The culprit, which is now invading all levels of the socioeconomic spectrum, is diminished and degraded exposure to the forms of good, meaningful language that enable us to converse with others, with the written word, and with our own minds. The results are inevitable: declining literacy, falling test scores, faltering oral expression, ineptitude with the written word that extends from elementary schools into the incoming ranks of professionals. Corporations run writing courses for budding executives, universities re mediate basic skills, secondary schools lower standards, and elementary schools add more "learning disability" classes.

Educational planners ignore the basic problem and tout curriculum and methods devised for a previous generation. Old methods are not working because young brains have not been shaped around language as a quintessential tool for analytic thinking. If we want growing brains to build the foundations for traditional modes of academic excellence, we must confront the habits of our culture that are changing the quality and the quantity of our children's conversation.

As noted in a previous post, much of the blame inevitably falls on television, but that is only one symptom of the problem. According to Dr. Healy, no one has defined long-term effects of headphones versus conversation, of computer games or drills versus active social play, of dvds instead of books. How can children bombarded from birth by noise, frantic schedules, and the caretaking of a fast-paced adult world learn to analyze, reflect, and ponder?

Now, how do I as a parent deal with this? Obviously, we live in a culture of technology, a culture where no one plays outside (I had a neighbor knock on my door yesterday to tell me that my children were playing in puddles of water and mud in the rain and it is gross. I was like, um, it was my idea! I don't think she thinks I am a good parent anymore).

I would love to hear some ideas of what some of you moms, dads, singles, whoever, have done, did, or would do, to help avoid the trap of technology over kill.

14 comments:

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

I would burn all video game technology. I survived without it and did quite well, if I do say so myself... Yes, that is the answer to perfect child-rearing. I should write a book!

Btw, I wasn't able to copy the beach pics from your website. Is it some secret Mac thing? What do I gotta do? :o)

Jaime said...

That is something you have to ask PJ.

Or, just let me know which ones you want. I am planning on getting some done for Lauren and I can get them for you too. It is really cheap.

Erin said...

There is no such thing as technology overkill in the Siedlecki household :)

Did I mention that Keegan just got 5 new Xbox games for his birthday:) HA!!

No seriously...the video games can certainly be overdone, but I'm not convinced that technology is to blame for the dumbing down of our kids. I think the problem boils down to the lack of parental involvement...period.

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

True, true, Erin! Many things can be taught and correctly communicated to children through technology. I was merely considering the way the vast majority of children interface with technology (be it video games, iPods, cell phones, computers, etc). ...as well as commenting on how well I turned out. ;o)

Help, PJ? How do I copy pictures from Jaime's mac blog thingie?

Oh good grief, I so just contradicted myself...

Jaime said...

What I was trying to say is that you have to have a balance. And yes, it def boils down to parental involvement. In every example I give, of the dumbing down of kids, it always is the parents fault! No matter what we are using feed this problem.

Obviously we are going to continue to have technology, but no one has actually answered my question!

Jaime said...

Jenn--

When you get to the pictures page double click on any picture that you want to download. It will launch in a new window as a maximized image not a thumbnail. Right click on the picture and choose download image, or save to desktop. That should be all that you need to do.

PJ

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm struggleing with the question. What is technology overload? Is that different from activity overload? If so, how?
As a parent we don't purposely avoid "technology." Rarely, will we tell our kids they have to turn off the T.V. We will encourage them to go outside and play and we limit the T.V. they can watch to educational T.V.
At least in the summer, in the winter it becomes more difficult.
I guess I'm not seeing the connection between the dumbing down of kids and the question. (I'm honestly not trying to frustrate you here)
Kids are great imitators. They live what they learn and they learn what they live, so I think it is imperative that my wife and present a balanced lifestyle to them. So there is no T.V. at dinner. Everyone eats together. (Sometimes we'll play worship music, but don't tell anyone I don't want to ruin my status with the Neo-fundy's as a radical).
I read a lot. We read to our kids. I read my bible. My wife and I have discussions a lot about serious things. We have discussions with our oldest and when the other two are old enough we'll include them. So in a way, we avoid this overload simply by trying to live our life. Does any of this make sense?

Joe Martino said...

That should say I read my Bible where my kids can see me, and with my kids.

Tammy said...

Well, Tim and I live in the 20th century as it relates to video technology. For one, we just don't have the funds to keep up with the lastest and greatest. Second, I don't think if we had the money we would invest it into video technology. As you know, Erika is 14 and Josh is 9. Last year, Josh received a game boy for Christmas. We went back and forth as to whether to get him one or not. We decided to get it for him but we set limits on how much he can use it. We have yet to have problems with him abusing that privilege.

With that said, we are not opposed to all video technology. And, I think in the future we may consider an XBox or something similiar. It is just not necessarily high priority for us.

I'm not sure how to answer your question besides praying about it and if you choose to allow certain technologies into your home, do it with moderation.

Jaime said...

Let me make one thing clear, I am NOT about avoiding technology! I will answer more later because I have to go. I just wanted to make that clear!

Erin said...

I think I answered your question...I currently don't do anything to "avoid the trap of technology overkill." We probably do more than overkill it :)

What I SHOULD do, and Caleb just mentioned looking into something like this, is put some sort of timer on the TV and Xbox stuff that makes it impossible to use except at certain times. Is there such technology??? That would be one idea we are toying with. Of course I can just tell my kids to stop watching TV or playing games or using the computer, but I don't as much as I should.....in fact I'm just as guilty of "technology overload" as my kids and should probably get off this computer now!! :)

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Oh. I am dumb. Thanks, PJ.

:o)

Jaime said...

Joe,

Activity and technology overload can be the same, but are also very different

Technology overload:

According to Dr. Healy, no one has defined long-term effects of headphones versus conversation, of computer games or drills versus active social play, of dvds instead of books. (or tv etc)

Activity Overload:

How can children bombarded from birth by noise, frantic schedules, and the caretaking of a fast-paced adult world learn to analyze, reflect, and ponder?

Activity overload would be more of running around doing "stuff" and not just being content to be at home. I know for my kids this feeds their  desire to always be entertained.

Anonymous said...

This is a great discussion. I even see a difference in my older kids (you and Josh) and the younger ones. They see many more movies and are much more entertainment driven. This is certainly due to parental decisions and probably our lack of wisdom. But some of it is related to shifts in culture.

Even 15 years ago there wasn't as much available (home computers, video games, home movies). My goodness, a VHS player was $400! So you kids played outside alot, invented games, made home movies, did "air bands" to Lion King songs, caught lightning bugs, and put on shows and concerts for the family.

Technology, like most everything else, is "neutral." It's what we do with it that matters. But I do think there is a greater pull on kids and parents today to substitute technology for outside play, playing hide and seek, reading books together and just sitting and doing nothing together!!!